Monday 14 March 2011

Evaluation 2

How effective is the combination of your main task and ancillary text?

We were given a choice to pick two ancillary texts my group and I decided to do a magazine film review and 3 house-style posters which is a poster campaign that contains the same themes and also to include different target audiences spread across the three posters, also I considered the target audience for my magazine film review as certain film magazines target certain age groups thus Empire, BFI or Total film.
In my research choose to buy two magazines which showed me the format and style of a magazine this helped me to make my review look as realistic as possible. For switch our main poster featured Frank and Charlie in which are the leading characters, they are shown from profile view both hi fiving each other in the centre of the frame, I personally felt this shot held a high significance within our film as it represents success and achievement in contrast to the beginning of the film where Frank and Charlie are view as hopeless losers with very little common sense which is why i think my poster creates irony. Also I considered my characters facial expressions and body language within each poster as i still bear in mind the theme and each characters representation this help build a fan base for “switch” as the poster helps to give the audience a insight of the film and gradually people will start to ask questions leading to the people wanting to see the film.
Overall regarding the idea of three house style posters which are each individually slightly different and hold high production value looking posters as I used 3 different images which were shot in the same location but kept the tagline all the same throughout all three posters and also used the same black fade border, I viewed this as significant as the border creates a focal point which captures the audience attention.
The main product and two ancillary text promotes the institution as a brand which is why both ancillary text were equally just as important as the film, Usually film institutions usually have a representation for using famous actors or being successful when engaging its target audience as one would identify by its number of products and whether they for filled their purpose. In “Switch” case the magazine film review I created was highly important down to every little detail such as the page numbers and creating logos and film rating, this could be featured in a currently running magazine. I chose to uses the format of total film as total film includes all genres from action movie to teen romance therefore “Switch” would sit comfortably in total film.
Our film review “Switch” is the feature review and as I researched most feature reviews where positioned at the top of the page and usually the image would be larger than other reviews. The picture that I used was of a scene within “Switch” as Frank and Charlie discover the car that is for sale , this image also is extremely important as it is the cause of a number of schemes .I also included other real film which I used real images and reviews this also helped to make the review look more realistic, However the chosen position of my film magazine review was based on what intrigued me and I considered what the audience would be looking for as a film review purpose is not to give the whole entire film plot away but to work with the main product as a package which encourages the audience to want to watch the film, which I hoped to make the main task and the two ancillary text work to an advantage as a package.

No comments:

Post a Comment